Archive | House stuff RSS feed for this section

Recycled Photo Frames

26 Dec

For Christmas this year, we decided to make gifts for the family instead of buying new things. Here’s what I managed to put together using:

* Two old wooden picture frames from a second-hand shop
* Wooden pegs
* String
* Staple gun
* Left-over paint
* Some cardboard and sellotape

All for a grand total of $14 (NZ) for two presents 🙂

169584_556830212817_1977816827_o

Advertisements

Square Cushion Covers

7 Jan

These were pretty simple to make. The first two were for a friend who wanted matching cushions to go with her boy’s curtains. The other one was for my daughter’s room (to match her curtains). Each of these have a zip along one side, and the cushion fillings were from Spotlight.

Image

Image

Owl Cushions

27 Dec

Owls are so hot (or is that hoot? haha..) right now. At least, they seem to be everywhere in the crafts world. I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and make a few owl cushions as Christmas presents for Xmas 2011. These were inspired by google image searches for “owl cushions”, then made using different fabrics. I cut the eyes, beak, and wings out, and zig-zag-stitched them onto the main body.

Image

Homemade Wall Decals

31 Oct

After putting up new wallpaper in the nursery, the walls were looking rather bare. I was quite keen on wall decals but didn’t want to pay upwards of $100 to buy some. I found on a forum somewhere that people had used Contact paper (a self-adhesive lining paper, kind of like duraseal, but for lining shelves and stuff) with varying success. A trip to the local Mitre 10 and $20 later, I came back with 1 roll of white paper and 1 roll of black paper. Here are a few of the decals I made from these. I bought a set of craft knives for cutting these out. The pukekos are actually hand-painted onto the white contact paper, then sprayed over with a gloss fixative.

ImageImageImage

Chair Recovery Project

10 Oct

My husband came home one day with this chair in tow. Apparently it was his old boss’s who didn’t want it any more.

Image

It was pretty comfortable and spent some time in our conservatory as a reading chair. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to recover it and turn it into my nursing chair. Because we weren’t too sure if we were having a boy or a girl, I decided to err on the side of caution and get upholstery fabric that was blue (my logic was that it was more acceptable for a girl’s room to have blue than for a boy’s room to have pink.. go figure). These covers are removable, which came in handy as my daughter ended up being quite a spilly baby so the chair got covered in milk quite a few times!

Image

Nursery Curtains

1 Aug

I’ve discovered that custom-made curtains don’t have to be expensive, and they’re also not very difficult to sew either.  Here are the curtains I ended up making for our nursery when I was pregnant. I used proper thermal-lined curtain fabric purchased from Spotlight, and curtain tape with three height options (also purchased from Spotlight).

Dining Chair Re-covering

23 May

We bought a new dining room table and chair set with some vouchers we got for our wedding in 2007. A couple of years later, we got a cat. She proceeded to destroy the covers of the dining room chairs within a month of moving in with us. Urrgh!Image

A trip to Spotlight for some furnishing fabric, a Philips screwdriver to undo the seat panels, and a staple gun to staple the new covers on top of the old one.. and viola!

Image