Archive | June, 2012

Crochet Women’s Slippers

25 Jun

Up until now, everything I’ve crocheted has been for someone else. This was my first project for myself and I’m stoked with how they’ve turned out!

The pattern is by Mamachee and can be bought from Etsy here.

I used some left-over acrylic yarn from last week’s owl beanie project. It was a bit tricky doubling up on the yarn for each stitch but I got there in the end!

Image

Image

Image

They’re keeping my feet toasty warm over the winter, and are such a quick project to make! I love them!

Crochet Kids Owl Beanie

19 Jun

My friend’s daughter’s 5th birthday was coming up, and I wanted to make her a present. I knew she liked owls, so I went hunting for patterns for an owl beanie and came across this one at Daisy Cottage Designs.

I adapted the size of the beanie slightly to fit a 5 year old’s head according to size chart at Bev’s Country Cottage. Here’s the finished result:

Image

Crochet Toddler Cardigan

10 Jun

At last! It’s complete!

It’s taken me a wee while to complete this version of Cat’s One Piece Wonder baby cardigan in a larger size for my 18 month old daughter.

Basically, I took the measurements off the baby one I made earlier, then increased the number of stitches to match up roughly with one of her current cardigans. Here’s my daughter modelling her new cardigan:

For those that are interested, here’s a brief description of what I did :

RIGHT FRONT:

ch 61.

Row 1: 15 sc (start in 2nd ch from hook), then 45 dc. Ch 3 and turn.

Row 2: 45 dc (ch 3 is the first dc), then 15 sc, ch 1 and turn.

Row 3: 15 sc (ch 1 is the first sc), then 45 dc. Ch 3 and turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until there are 18 rows.

RIGHT SLEEVE:

Row 1: 15 sc, 10 tc (treble crochet), then ch 46. (You can probably make it with fewer chains as the sleeves are a bit too long for my daughter!)

Row 2: 7 sc (start in 2nd ch from hook), then 47 dc, 15 sc. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 3: 15 sc (ch 1 is the first sc),  47 dc, 7 sc, ch1 and turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until Row 19 (18 rows of dc/sc stitches in total).

BACK:

Row 1: 15 sc, 10 tc, ch 38.

Row 2: Starting in 4th ch from hook, 45 dc, then 15 sc. Ch 1 and turn.

Row 3: 15 sc (ch 1 is the first sc), 45 dc. Ch 3 and turn.

Row 4: 45 dc (ch 1 is the first dc), 15 sc. Ch 1 and turn.

Repeat rows 3 and 4 until 31 rows across.

LEFT SLEEVE:

Same as right sleeve.

LEFT FRONT:

Same as right front, except only 15 rows across.

Row 16 (starts at top of cardigan for button holes): ch 3, skip a stitch, then 13 dc. Ch 3, skip a stitch, then 10 dc. Ch 3 skip a stitch, then 10 dc. Ch 3 skip a stitch, then 10 dc. Ch 3 skip a stitch, then 10 dc. (Should make 6 buttonholes in total).

PUTTING IT TOGETHER:

I followed the rest of Cat’s One Piece Wonder instructions from here.

For the collar, I added 1 extra row of sc to make it longer, then another row with 11 sc until the fold of the sleeve, then dcs along the back until the other sleeve fold, then 11 sc to the front.

Hopefully that makes sense for anyone who cares!! (And for me when I try to figure out what I did.)

Cot Quilt

4 Jun

My plan for the long weekend was to finish the size 2 cardigan I’d started for my daughter but I ran out of wool around three quarters of the way through and Spotlight didn’t have any left in that colour. I put my name down for the next order of that particular wool, and came home empty-handed and a bit dejected. Until I remembered that I had another project that I’d been meaning to start..

Almost a year ago now, I bought some “cot panels” from Spotlight to make a cot duvet cover for my daughter. However, the size of the panels wasn’t the same as any standard cot-sized duvet, so it ended up being an empty duvet cover with no duvet insert. I decided to unpick it and start again, except this time, turning it into a quilt instead.

This was a fairly simple project. I had the cot panel for the top, the coordinating fabric for the back, and some left-over cotton/bamboo batting from my sleeping bag project for the middle. I used basting spray to keep the three layers together, then machine stitched around the outside and each of the elephants on the panel. I made my own binding from some left-over flannelette using Heather Bailey’s continuous quilt-binding instructions, and a couple of hours later, the quilt was complete.