Archive | October, 2010

Homemade Wall Decals

31 Oct

After putting up new wallpaper in the nursery, the walls were looking rather bare. I was quite keen on wall decals but didn’t want to pay upwards of $100 to buy some. I found on a forum somewhere that people had used Contact paper (a self-adhesive lining paper, kind of like duraseal, but for lining shelves and stuff) with varying success. A trip to the local Mitre 10 and $20 later, I came back with 1 roll of white paper and 1 roll of black paper. Here are a few of the decals I made from these. I bought a set of craft knives for cutting these out. The pukekos are actually hand-painted onto the white contact paper, then sprayed over with a gloss fixative.

ImageImageImage

Advertisements

Pocket Nappies

27 Oct

I had grand visions of using cloth instead of disposable for nappies when I was pregnant. When my daughter arrived, the idea soon became forgotten, but I hope to use these in the future.

I made these using the Wee Weka pocket nappy pattern from The Nappy Network. The fabric for the first one came from Green Beans, while the flannel for the second one pictured came from Spotlight.

Image

Image

Chair Recovery Project

10 Oct

My husband came home one day with this chair in tow. Apparently it was his old boss’s who didn’t want it any more.

Image

It was pretty comfortable and spent some time in our conservatory as a reading chair. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to recover it and turn it into my nursing chair. Because we weren’t too sure if we were having a boy or a girl, I decided to err on the side of caution and get¬†upholstery¬†fabric that was blue (my logic was that it was more acceptable for a girl’s room to have blue than for a boy’s room to have pink.. go figure). These covers are removable, which came in handy as my daughter ended up being quite a spilly baby so the chair got covered in milk quite a few times!

Image